The History of the town
We can find Otrokovice on the interface of three regions: Vlachian, Haná region and the Moravian Slovakia region - the temperament of people is mixed with discernment that is typical for the people from Haná region, Vlachian diligence and temperament that is highly typical for the people from the Moravian Slovakia region. Otrokovice consists of two former self-contained villages called Otrokovice and Kvítkovice. The archaeological discoveries in the area of the centre of the town can show us that this area is settled from the Stone Age. The first written mention about Otrokovice is said in the list of bishop of Olomouc Henry Zdík (the new historical research dates it around the year 1141).Until the half of the 14th century Otrokovice were the clerical property, later on Otrokovice came into the worldly hands and they were marked with many disagreements between the feudal families. In the period of bloom, the homesteads, estates and the fish-pond cultivation started to appear there.
The fortress in Otrokovice
The old Otrokovice were in the Middle Ages part of the domination of Malenovice. In the year 1570 Otrokovice were separated and started to have its own feudal domination, the owners built a fortress that was used for living. It was built in the year 1574 and it was used until the year 1649. In this year 1649 the fortress lost its function because Otrokovice were bought to the domination of Malenovice and those noblemen called Rotals had better fortresses. The next portion of the fortress in Otrokovice were not known exactly. But the results of the archival studio shows that this historical building in the period of Rotals was still there. It was a very large object, sometimes called as a castle (e.g. in the year 1667), close to this object there was an Undercastle pond, and to the manorial seat belonged a very large manorial area. This building was probably in a good condition, according to the messages from the years 1167-1750, but without any appropriate use. From the archival notes we cannot read, what form it had.
Only the old picture on the map from the 1719 was preserved. In this picture there is drawn a group of buildings with the tower close to the title Otrokovice. We cannot take it as a truthful portrait of old reality. The old manorial fortress in Otrokovice was pulled down by the establishment before the year 1767 and instead of it a granary was built there. It is not possible to find the granary there in these days but we can find only a wine bar with this name in that place.
Otrokovice before the year 1900
Otrokovice and Kvítkovice belonged to the domination of Malenovice. In the year 1822 the proprietress Mary Teresa Kobencl celebrated the anniversary of holding the property for the period of 50 years. In the 1824 she died and the property got her niece Frances, countess from Fünfkerchen. She gave the half of the property to her husband George in the year 1840 who was the count of Stockau. In the year 1848 the revolution came and Frances and George´s cottars were freed from the subjection and the villein duty.
In the year 1824 there was in Otrokovice 126 fully populated houses. From this number, 11 of them were half-expanse and 14 quarter-expanse estates, 22 other typer of houses, 72 crofters, a manorial house, a gamekeeper's lodge, the house for officers, a pub and two mills. In this period of time Otrokovice had its own school. From the year 1805, the demobbed soldier and a shoemaker Klhůfek was teaching there in the private house. But in the year 1810 the house with the number 40 was bought by the community and in this house the demobbed soldier Frances Moučka was teaching there. For teaching he was awarded 28 of 13 British gallons of rye, 20 golden pieces of money and 6 fathoms of wood for a year. The tuition per one pupil was a quarter of a golden piece of money. Karel Haldina was determined to be Moučka´s assistant and in the year 1836 he became the real teacher.
According to the list of population from the year 1843, there were 804 people in Otrokovice (396 men, 408 women). They lived in 132 houses and in 187 households. 47 families were employed in the agriculture, 6 worked in the trade and 134 worked in drudgery. The total area of land register overlapped 2103 of the old measuremnt, the field had 1139, the meadows 310, the gardens 28, pastures 207 and the forests 28. From the animals 125 of horses were bred, 46 of bulls, 218 of cows, 46 of heifers, 187of pigs and 3314 of sheep.
In Kvítkovice there were 55 houses. From this number, 23 of theme were half-expanse and 4 quarter-expanse estates, 3 different types of houses, 22 crofters, the house for the officers, the old court and the school.
In Kvítkovice in the year 1843 there lived 363 people (175men, 186 women) in 55 houses and in 75 households.
39 families were employed in the agriculture, 4 worked in the trade and 41 worked in drudgery. From more than 909 of the old measurement of the land register, fields had 571, 126 had meadows, 14 had gardens, pastures 143 and forests 29. From the animals 147 horses were bred, 119 of cows, 46 of heifers, 116 of pigs and 42 of sheep.
Until the end of feudalism, both villages were strictly agricultural without industrial facilities. In the year 1845 there was built a distillery in area of Otrokovice, called Terezov.
On 18th July 1841, the first train of the Northern rail of emperor Ferdinand went through Otrokovice from Břeclav to Přerov. There was not built any stop, but this activity meant the beginning of a new era for this region.
The Local authority
The local authority dealt on their meetings with the problems that were typical for that period of time, pasturing of the animals, making the ditches by the roads, the services of the roads, ways and bridges over the river called Dřevnice. In the budget there figured the items for the school salaries, the rewards to the mayor and to the night watcher (in the 80ties there were 2), to the municipal attendant and later on to the postman.
From the year 1879 until the year 1912 the farmer Charles Mrázek was the mayor. He was able to fulfil the demands of the modern time that was visible in Otrokovice as well. This new period of time needed some changes in this village. The new school was built (1899), the railway station and the post office was established, the sewerage in the village was set up, the regulation of the rivers Morava and Dřevnice was done and lastly the new associations were established as well.
The disagreements in the local authority - in the local committee were concerned with the complaints of the inhabitants and the deputy of the manor in Malenovice for the problem that the local committee gives very high amounts for the "refreshments" of their members. It was the higher amount of money written in the budget between the expenses for the construction of the school and the money given to the local authority once a year as a reward. In the year 1911 belonged to the local authority not only the mayor Mrázek but also the farmers Joseph Krčma, Frances Sigmund and Joseph Oharek and the member of the local secretary was the schoolmistress Joseph Odstrčílek.
Frances Sigmund became in the year 1912 the mayor, instead of Charles Mrázek, In Kvítkovice, there was in the year 1911 the mayor a farmer Frances Laciga, the councillors were Frances Krajča, Frances Korvas and Joseph Kojetský, Frances Bánovský was an assistant.
The School system
The person who took care of the school was the headmistress Joseph Odstrčílek, who lived in Otrokovice from the years 1884 to 1912. The local authority allowed him to built pigsties by the school. The teacher got a part of the salary in the pay in kind like in corns, wood and so they keep a small housekeeping for having better conditions. In the year 1910 there was established a new school for housekeepers
The construction of stud farm
In the year 1886, the stud farm was established in Napajedla. A.Baltazii, the husband of the countess of Stockau, started to construct a lot of stud farms in Otrokovice, paddocks and pastures for the horses. It was mainly in the area of Menšov, Horní les and Skály close to Tlumačov. The most expensive thing was buying mares and studhorses, mainly from England. The cost of the English studhorse Matchbox was 200,000 goldens. At the beginning of the 20th century, the manor has a dept about 7 millions of Austrian crowns.
In the year 1882 there was built a railway station in Otrokovice. Before that the train stopped only in Napajedla and from the year 1865 in Tlumačov. The big influence for the construction of the railway station had a project for the new railway Otrokovice-Zlín-Vizovice. In the village a new building was built and in 8th October 1899 the traffic started. In the year 1906, this private railway was taken over to the state railways, not to the private railways as before.
The post office
Through the second half of the 19th century, the post was ensured by the man who was responsible for taking the post from Napajedla. Frances Maňas, responsible for this service, was in the year 1893 charged with the administration of the post that was established in his home. In the year 1910 Leo Bezděk became the first postman in Otrokovice. In the year 1913, the new independent post office was established on the railway station
The regulation of the rivers Morava and Dřevnice
The problems that were caused with floods wre finally solved in the year 1906, when the Moravian authority allowed the regulation of the river Morava, close to the village Bělov, in Otrokovice and in Napajedla. This situation was the same with the river Dřevnice from the railway bridge to the mouth of the river Morava. Because of the regulation of this river, the new river appeared and flew in the southern direction to the river Morava. The old riverbed was covered with soil. Because of the regulation of Dřevnice the long-standing problems with two mills in Otrokovice were solved.
In the year 1898 the flood pulled down the weir that propeled the water to the mills. The lower mill did not work until the year 1913 and the upper mill that John Litera bought before the flood worked on the steam. In the year 1904, Litera sold the mill to the trader called Jacob Schon for about 30,000 crowns. After the regulation of Dřevnice, he suspended the new weir and he also reconstructed the upper mill for the modern one. In the year 1913 the lower mill was connected to the new weir
Social composition of the village
At the beginnig of the 20th century the social composition of the village started to change. There was a higher number of traders. In the year 1911 there were 4 pubs, 4 dressmakers, 2 millers, 3 shoemakers, 2 smiths, a brickmaker, a wheelwright, 3 bakers, 2 butchers and 2 pork butchers in Otrokovice. There were 4 shops with the mixed goods, 3 shops of liquor shop and the shop with coals.
After the death of the private doctor B. Gerža, who was the rich German farmer, there was not a doctor in Otrokovice so they had to pay some extra money to the medical area, they belonged to, in Malenovice. In the village there worked two birthing nurses.
In Kvítkovice there were in the year 1911 two pubs, a wheelwright, a roofer, a saddler, a baker and a butcher, 2 shops with the mixed goods, the shop with paraffin.
The most important change in the social structure of Otrokovice was in a higher number of workmen. This fact had a big effect on the increase of shoemaking enterprises, some workmen worked in the enterprises in Přerov, in the area of Ostrava or to Wien ).
The poorest part of Otrokovice was called Příhon, later on it was called Jiráskova street. Because there was not any sewerage, the muck was seen everywhere in the streets. Příhon was also very often flooded with the water from the river Dřevnice. It was nothing special that typhus started to appear there.
Almost all people belonged to the Czech nationality. In the year 1880, only 8 people claimed to the German nationality. Almost all people in the year 1880 claimed to be Roman Catholics, but there were also 6 people who claimed to be Protestants and 6 were Jews. All people in Kvítkovice belonged to the Czech nationality and to the Roman Catholics religion. In July, 1889 a construction of the chapel was finished, it was consecrated to Saint Ann, and it was built on the place where the wooden bell tower stood before. Francis Palla was the parson who did the occasional services in the years 1884-1915.
The establishment of society
1872 - the Civic thrift institution was established, the master was a doctor a the owner of one half-expanse Frederic Gerža. The thrift institution had 96 members and 9479 crowns of deposit, in the year 1882- it had 175 members and 69600 crown of deposit and in the year 1912, it had 224 members and 222487 crowns of deposit.
1882 - the another institution was established, but it was only for the richest.
1886 - the institution for the demobbed officers.
20the July 1890 - the institution of Voluntary firemen was established. The master of this institution was Charles Herusch, an assistant was Francis Sklenář. They could use the motor syringe, the hoses, ladders and some equipment needed for possibility to destroy something.
1897- the reading institution was established
1898 - the Association for the breeding beef farm animals
1907 - the first meeting about the establishment of Sokol, 50 people were invited. This institution took part with the institution in Přerov. The first master of this new institution was Joseph Cásek, the first public exercises is dated 29th June, 1908 in the garden of the miller G. Schön. The physical exercise did 55 men and 30 juniors. Before 1. World War, the institution had 78 members.
The establishment of society in Kvítkovice
1886- the Reading institution was established. It had about 180 of books but later on the books were lost somewhere. In 1907 the function started to continue and in 1911 the institution arranged 2 dramatic performations.
1893 - the Civic thrift institution was established
1894 - the institution of Voluntary firemen was established with the Joseph Cablík as a master, they got the syringe that was bough by the Civic thrift institution.
1911 - the Charitable institution appeared in Kvítkovice and the Economic institution appeared there as well
The development of Otrokovice before the World War
In the 30ties , when Thomas Baťa bought form the countess of Malenovice some part of marshland areas between the rivers Dřevnice and Morava, the fastest development in this area appeared.
He let to wash off the soil from the hill Tresný, not far away from that, and so he heightened the area of 1-3 metres , sometimes to 4 metres. On this area he started to build the new objects of his firm with the centre in Zlín. These works were finished by his successors and in this area of marshland areas the industrial area full of greenness appeared. This area started to be called "Baťov", we call it today "Bahňák". On the architectonical appearance worked the famous people like F.L.Gahura and Vl.Karfík. The most famous dominant feature is the Banqueting house, built in the years 1933-36. This houses reminds us a three-shouldered airscrew from the airborne point of view. In the 30ties the number of people increased four times (for 8000 in 1938).
The development of Otrokovice after the World War
In the year 1960, Otrokovice were connected with Kvítkovice and in the year 1964 Otrokovice were moved up to the town. The next industrial expansion and the next increase of inhabitants started to appear in 70ties and 80ties, the period of boom of the enterprise called Barum Continental today. This enterprise connected with other enterprises - Moravan,eg. - creates an industrial area of the town. In this period of time, the modern health centre took part.
Otrokovice and Kvítkovice ale connected together for a long time and they had many things they can offer to the visitors: from the era of Baťa period The Banquet house is the most valuable monument there, it was destroyed by the floods in July,1997 but it was repaired very soon. It can offer to the visitors a very good cuisine, comfortable living and a very good social background. From the 90ties, we can find the monotonous block of flats in the centre of the town but it is gradually put in shade with reconstruct or with new houses on the square, like a town hall - the seat of the Local authority and the Library.
The next dominant feature got the town in the spring 1995, when the new Roman Catholic church of Saint Adalbert was consecrated. It was built in 2 years. There also a bulky construction finished in 1997 where is the informational and the cultural centre and the supermarket Delvita too.
The area for recreation on the northern part of the town, Štěrkoviště, can offer the visitors a place for sports and for relaxation.
The current month does not include any actions.